Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Jones River: A Duck's Eye View

A kid's movie.

This was a fun project. We - the JRWA crew - have been discussing film making concepts for almost 2 years now. We've had some common ideas and some individual ideas, but I think the stumbling block has always been execution. We are working with some folks with the equipment and expertise that will eventually generate a great product. But I continue to struggle with how to relate the concepts in my mind to others who might implement them.

So while I figure that out, I thought I'd try a DIY version. I spent a few days learning some under-appreciated features in Google Earth. With that as a basis, L. helped me develop the story outline. Then on a beautiful Friday afternoon we toured around and shot some targeted bulk footage in the hopes of catching some usable pieces. We then spent the next three days editing the footage and writing the story around the it.

Here's the end product. The audience is 5th graders in Kingston, who will get a look this Friday. It's a silent version for now as it suits the venue. A soundtrack will eventually follow.

1 comment: