Friday, May 21, 2010

The Sounds of Summer

Sometimes you get more than you expect.

Last night JC and I launched his boat in the Jones River...its summer home. At the start of this operation my expectations were low. I wasn't even sure we could fit his boat on my trailer. I thought our best case outcome was doing some trailer modifications over a few beers in his driveway.

Instead, we easily lifted the boat off its blocks and onto the trailer where it fit perfectly. Twenty minutes later we slipped it into the Jones. And five minutes after that we were heading out to the bay. The lower river and the bay were glassy calm and beautiful but no fish were in sight. After a few casts near Cripple Rocks we headed back into the river. On a hunch I suggested we drift past the mouth of Smelt Brook. As soon as we cut the motor the schoolies erupted all around us. We each landed fish before it was time to move on with the setting sun.

What a night. What a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment